Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Almost

Tonight about 10:30, I went out the front door to set out the trash cans. Wow, smells like a fire out here. Perhaps a BBQ next door? Awful late, though. Go back inside and shut the door but the smell is really strong and really close, so I go back outside on my porch. Smells like a campfire, walk to the front yard and look. Nothing. Where is that damn fire smell coming from? It's getting stronger. Go back on my porch, smell is overbearing. Is it electrical? Is there a fire between the walls in my house? Just happened to glance down to my wine barrel planter and OMG, Holy Mother of Pearl, my planter is on FIRE!!!
Apparently, my room mate who only smokes outside put her cigarette out in the dirt of the planter. HOWEVER, the dead crispy roots where there were once flowers are buried in that dirt and when she snuffed out the cig, it ignited the dry crispy roots below and then they smoldered up to the surface and caught fire. Thank goodness, it was trash day tomorrow o r I would never have been gone outside. The wooden half barrel lays flush against my house surrounded by wicker furniture. I shudder to think what could have happened after we had gone to sleep. Luckily we were able to put it out ourselves. She feels horrible and can't stop apologizing. My guardian angel was definitely looking out for me today. Never a dull moment around here, folks! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment