Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Road Trip - Day 2 & 3 - Silver Lake

Day 2 brought us to this

darling cabin at Silver Lake. This is just off of Hwy 395, 50 miles past Bishop and right next to June Lake. While driving to the cabin we passed this awesome waterfall and planned a hike to the falls. The first part of the hike was great, mostly flat and somewhat rocky, and thanks to the 9 gallons of mosquito spray I was wearing, the bloodsuckers left us alone. It wasn't until about three quarters up the trail as I was stepping over some rocks, I saw it. IT being a SNAKE. (I always remember my brother-in-law Jim saying, watch where you step when you hike) good advice as I caught sight of it just as I was bringing my foot down, just inches away. I calmly screamed "SNAKE" (as calmly as one can scream) to Andy who was just a few steps ahead of me and then I backed away.....SLOWLY. We both just stared at it for a moment, Andy on one side of it and me on the other. It wasn't a rattlesnake, that much I knew. It was completely brown in color and that's when Andy says "its a black mamba". Very funny Mr. Moto! It remained completely still, so I took my chances and lept over the thing. I'm sure I could have walked on water at that point. My eyes then never left the ground after that. We are now at over 7000 feet elevation and I am becoming winded, exhausted from my snake watching and the sudden steepness of the trail. Mr. Moto of course is bounding up the trail. Note to self - never hike with someone who works out, trains and rides motorcross, you are way out of your league. But he was a real trooper and waited patiently. We finally made it to the waterfall and it was well worth it.


The cabin where we stayed was awesome tucked among the trees with a view of the lake and no connection to the outside world. No internet, no TV, no cell phone, no radio.....just crickets and moonlight. And oh yes, I even had candlelight because someone, we won't mention his name, thought to pack a candle. Cause that's how he is..
....Some kind of wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment