Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Yesterday, Chelsea and I went to Wally World to buy a Christmas Tree. We picked out a "faith" tree because we had "faith" we would like it when we got it home and unwrapped it! We did this so we could fit it in the car! You all know what an actress Chel can be......so when I asked her to carry the tree thru Walmart to the cashier, she burst into her "Kunta Kinta" role from Roots......saying "yes masta", "yes masta", "anything you want masta" and proceeded to drape herself over the tree while dragging it thru wal-mart. Well that started the giggles and they only magnified when we got to the cashier who spoke like Daffy Duck. I swear he did and that was his real voice! So trying to keep a straight face and carry on a conversation with Daffy Duck and Kunta Kinta, I check out. My slave and I carried it to the car, but then couldn't lift it high enough over the backs of the seats to get it in my SUV. By this time, we are hysterically laughing (kinda like when you try and carry a mattress w/no handles) until two nice men offered to load the tree in. It was so long it touched the car stereo and the rear window and divided the two of us with its "roots"!
All was fine until we were unloading it and I got my hair stuck in it!








Then the unveiling and voila, we love it!
The proud tree dragger.
Day 2 - putting the tree in the stand. We layed it on it side in garage and applied tree stand. (first mistake) Carried into living room, set tree upright, went to garage to get ornaments and tree was on its side when we returned. After many futile attempts and bad words, we left it on the floor in the dining room.
Now you have to visualize this scene. Chelsea is still in her ballet outfit from dance class, so I am trying to right a 7 foot tree that weighs more than I do with a ballerina. After more frustration and screaming at each other, we abort our mission and watch an episode of "Will and Grace" until we can become civil again. When we return to our task, Chelsea says "You know Mom, I don't like you much right now" to which I reply, "that's fine Ballerina, I want a divorce" and then the laughter erupts again. Alas, the tree has been successfully put in the stand. Hopefully it will still be standing when we wake up in the morning. Decorating to follow tomorrow after her singing lessons. Maybe she'll serenade me then.

1 comment: