Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"funemployment"


So it's been 53 days since I was laid off, but whose counting? I've officially joined the "405" club, that's the amount of unemployment I would receive weekly, however, I do NOT qualify as I was "self employed". Don't even get me started on the people I know who receive benefits and don't even look for jobs....

I honestly thought I'd have found a job by now. I am now one of the over 9% unemployed statistic. I couldn't have picked a worse time to be looking for a job, other than the "great depression". My resume goes into cyberspace daily, and every now and then I get a nibble. I've had three interviews, one for a position that didn't exist, one where I was told, "you are way overqualified and would be bored", and the last one is the beginning of many interviews required to work for a "high-profile" person.

Yesterday really brought a visual to light. I applied for a "judicial assistant" position and was invited to test for it at the Courthouse. I am not lying, when I arrived, I joined 57 other applicants for this ONE position. And honestly, I stopped counting at 57. We all sat in the court room with clipboards and took a written test. (and yes it was the court room where my trial took place) That was at 12 noon. At 4 PM, another set of applicants will also apply. I had no idea how saturated the job market was with applicants until I actually saw all of us at that one testing. From twenty somethings to retirees.

I am however exploring options outside of my personal assistant background. I will be taking tests in this new field in the next few weeks. I'm not saying what field it is, I don't want to jinx it. But it is something where there is never a dull moment, as I thrive on chaos, right?

Update **** I was just notified that I passed my 25 PAGE background check for the new field I am interested in and my tests have been scheduled. Stay tuned. (I began this journey last November!)


Double Update ***** A tip for all of you job applicants. While interviewing yesterday via phone, right in the middle of the conversation, the interviewer exclaims " Oh there you are" . They had searched for me on FACEBOOK and my profile popped up. She continued interviewing me while browsing my FB. So be aware, ANYTHING you post can show up to a potential employer. Luckily, my pages are pretty tame, but gads, what some people post would never get them hired!!

So that's the wrap up on my "fun employment" search. At least I haven't reach the level of some, who are helping themselves to rolls of toilet paper via gas stations and restaurants, or hoarding catchup or mustard..........but I have taken a few extra sugar packets lately from McDonalds.. Is that how it starts???
Have a good day y'all. Time for lappie and I to send off a few more resumes....to infinity and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment